Brahmi is a creeping plant found in plethora in India’s wet, marshy climate, and has been used for millennia as a therapeutic remedy. What makes this aquatic plant unique apart from its obvious medicinal benefits is its ability to grow in cultivated plots under many different weather conditions. This ability makes it easy to plant and harvest Brahmi in abundance. The list of Brahmi’s medicinal properties is almost inexhaustible. If you want more information on this little wonder plant, including how to grow it at home, please see our earlier article here.
We have gathered a few Brahmi recipes for you to try at home. Leave a comment and let us know if they worked for you, or leave your own recipe for others to try!
Thambli is a traditional almost-raw dish which is perfect for hot weather. It combines yoghurt with fresh herbs and coconut.
- 1 packed cup of fresh Brahmi leaves.
- 1 tsp ghee/coconut oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ cup freshly grated coconut
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ -3/4 cup fresh yogurt
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chili
- salt to taste
- Heat ½ tsp ghee or coconut oil in a small pan. Add the cumin seeds and fry for a minute. Now add the Brahmi leaves, which has been washed and dried well.
- Toss everything together and turn off the heat. Brahmi leaves will wilt within seconds.
- Grind the wilted Brahmi leaves, fresh coconut, black pepper with a little bit of water into a fine paste. Pour this mixture into a bowl. Add the yogurt and salt and mix everything well. Thin down with water if it looks too thick.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds. When it starts to sputter, add the dry red chili and turn off the heat. Pour this tempering over the Thambli and serve immediately.
Brahmi Health Shake
- 1 cup brahmi leaves with roots, thoroughly washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1/2 cup of yogurt
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Sea salt to taste
- Some ice cubes – optional
- Put cumin seeds, Brahmi leaves, and coconut in a blender and grind into smooth paste. Add 1/2 cup of water and pass it through a fine sieve into a large bowl.
- Put what is in the sieve back to the blender, add yogurt and 1 cup of water. Pulse the ingredients a few times, until the yogurt becomes really smooth and blends with the other ingredients.
- Pass this mix through the sieve again to the same bowl used earlier. Add jaggery and salt to taste, stir until well combined.
If needed, use coconut milk as a replacement to fresh grated coconut. Use half the quantity of the grated coconut.
Brahmi Remedy for Acne
- Combine Brahmi powder and turmeric in equal parts.
- Add 1 tablespoon of warm cow milk.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of ghee.
- Take one tablespoon twice daily.